Freeds Universe Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for FreedsUniverse SMP server.

5 posters

So Long PS2

thefluffyswan
    thefluffyswan

So Long PS2 Empty So Long PS2

Post by thefluffyswan Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:36 am

Hear ye! Hear ye! The old King may soon cease to be!

Greetings brethren of mine! It is nigh a dark day upon us for the former king is...

Fuck it, time to talk normal

Anyways guys, the best selling console of all time - the PlayStation 2 - after 13 years of being produced by Sony, is finally ending. Or so it appears. In Japan, where Sony HQ is located, they have stated that production of the console will be stopped in Japan. Though not confirmed if this is true for all around the world, it is very possible that this may be a worldwide...catastrophe?
    "Develop Online cites a report from famous Japanese source Famitsu stating 'that Sony has told the nation’s retailers that it will not deliver any more PS2s for sales in stores. Once current stock is sold no more will arrive.'"
    For those of you who don't know, the PS2 alone has been out for 13 years years now, has had 150,000,000+ (that is right, 150+ million) copies sold AS OF 2011 (this was in February too). By the time that figure was released, over 10,000 games had been released onto the PS2. One last thing to note is that PlayStation 2 IS the BEST SELLING console to EVER be released, with the Original PlayStation at just a little over 100,000,000. The rest of the best-selling consoles go in this order: Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Xbox and GameCube.
    Now, to close off this...tragic (and beautiful) moment, let us remember the PS2 and all it's glory, all its ever done for us.
    I have to admit, i've had one for so long now, I remember when we got it. I can honestly say that I have probably sunk weeks into that god-damned magnificent machine, and it stiill works just fine today. I've played so many great games, investing so much time into titles like Battlefront 2, lego star wars 1 (original one they made) star wars revenge of the sith (one of my favorite fighting games) Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Metal Gear Solid 2 (ill get 3 in the HD collection one day), watching my brothers play Grand Theft Auto and then finally playing it myself, God of War, and just...tons and TONS of games. When I say this, I am not lying. I currently own probably 50+ games on the PS2, AND we have sold SO MANY other games over the years that I have easily played 100+ games of one of the best systems to ever come out. And though it lives on in the ps3 (which I don't have) nothing can beat the glory of the ps2. (Hell, when I heard about this, I went upstairs, found GTA3 and popped it in and began playing [couldn't find San Andreas])
    So long PS2, you will be missed (assuming that it will now be out of production)
    Now tell us; what has the PS2 done for you? How long do you think you've sunk into it? What do you fondly remember about it? Anything really, and remember folks; pay homage to your local PS2 today.
    Boblobster
    Boblobster
    In-Game Admin

So Long PS2 Empty Re: So Long PS2

Post by Boblobster Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:02 pm

My one's controller port broke and my brother got really angry trying to fix it, so he jammed a screwdriver into the main powersupply and then smashed it up in the backgarden a few days later. It was awesome.

Why didn't you mention any of the handheld consoles in those statistics boyo? Nintendo dominates with them. I mean the DS is only like a million sales behind the PS2 and it was released 4 years later, so don't be treating the PS2 (and Sony in general) as if it's the best thing to ever exist ever.
    thefluffyswan
    thefluffyswan

Post by thefluffyswan Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Boblobster wrote:My one's controller port broke and my brother got really angry trying to fix it, so he jammed a screwdriver into the main powersupply and then smashed it up in the backgarden a few days later. It was awesome.

Why didn't you mention any of the handheld consoles in those statistics boyo? Nintendo dominates with them. I mean the DS is only like a million sales behind the PS2 and it was released 4 years later, so don't be treating the PS2 (and Sony in general) as if it's the best thing to ever exist ever.

I know it isn't the greatest thing ever
    BUT
    This was what I had growing up, and now that they're coming out of commission, i thought it would be nice to remember it. And Nintendo is the best at handheld gaming by far (We still have a gameboy, gameboy advanced and [my brothers friend gave it to us] a DS with only 1 game [remake of super mario 64], but the statistics i said were for traditional consoles like the SNES or the Gamecube or N64 and Original Xbox.
    mcuser12
    mcuser12
    Owner
    Owner

Post by mcuser12 Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Seeing as the PS3 can play any PS1 or PS2 games it really doesn't have a use anymore.
    Its funny, by adding backwards compatibility, Sony effectively decreased the value of its old consoles.
    lolyounoob1

Post by lolyounoob1 Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:03 pm

PatrickFreed wrote:Seeing as the PS3 can play any PS1 or PS2 games it really doesn't have a use anymore.
    Its funny, by adding backwards compatibility, Sony effectively decreased the value of its old consoles.

The new Ps3's don't have the backwards compatibility, the first few generations did (like mine).
    mcuser12
    mcuser12
    Owner
    Owner

Post by mcuser12 Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:08 pm

lolyounoob1 wrote:
    PatrickFreed wrote:Seeing as the PS3 can play any PS1 or PS2 games it really doesn't have a use anymore.

The new Ps3's don't have the backwards compatibility, the first few generations did (like mine).
    Oh, wasn't aware of this. Ive been out of the console loop for a while now.
    thefluffyswan
    thefluffyswan

Post by thefluffyswan Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 pm

PatrickFreed wrote:
    lolyounoob1 wrote:

Oh, wasn't aware of this. Ive been out of the console loop for a while now.

PS4 - can play PS2 games but not PS3 games
    Boblobster
    Boblobster
    In-Game Admin

Post by Boblobster Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 pm

PS3 only games only include Metal Gear Solid pretty much, the rest are available on other platforms...
    thefluffyswan
    thefluffyswan

Post by thefluffyswan Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Boblobster wrote:PS3 only games only include Metal Gear Solid pretty much, the rest are available on other platforms...

You forgot Uncharted series and God of War {3} [and now Ascension - the prequel](only thing that I regret about not getting a ps3, never got to finish the series)

Also, MGS2 was actually on the Xbox before it came to the PS2, Metal Gear HD collection is on xbox AND Revengence (follow Raiden - protagonist from the MGS2 ~ is also in 4~ -) is gonna be for the xbox too... I wouldn't really say Metal Gear is PS exclusive, it flipflops a lot.
    Boblobster
    Boblobster
    In-Game Admin

Post by Boblobster Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:30 pm

I only actually meant Metal Gear Solid 4 xD, if that actually isn't on it exclusively then there you are, pretty much no point in getting the PS3...

Haven't played uncharted or God of War though so I dunno.
    thefluffyswan
    thefluffyswan

Post by thefluffyswan Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Boblobster wrote:I only actually meant Metal Gear Solid 4 xD, if that actually isn't on it exclusively then there you are, pretty much no point in getting the PS3...

Haven't played uncharted or God of War though so I dunno.

I have the original 2 God of War games, and I have to say, those two games are probably some of my favorites. It's bloody as shit, would probably DEEPLY corrupt children, has some naked things you fight (for all you pervs out there Wink ) and the story is tied in SO WELL to Greek Mythology (also, the story was pretty great as well, especially in the first one).
    Only problem is that a few points in my GOd of War 2 disc don't work
    Bubba_rocks
    Bubba_rocks

Post by Bubba_rocks Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 am

The amount of hours I have on Kingdom hearts and the final fantasies on there...
    Sad to see it go.Lest we forget PS2

thefluffyswan
    thefluffyswan

Post by thefluffyswan Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:58 am

Bubba_rocks wrote:The amount of hours I have on Kingdom hearts and the final fantasies on there...
    Sad to see it go.Lest we forget PS2

Finally some respect/sadness for the PS2
    Boblobster
    Boblobster
    In-Game Admin

Post by Boblobster Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Ape Escape 2 was pretty awesome I know that much.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:47 pm