Freeds Universe Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for FreedsUniverse SMP server.

4 posters

Tournaments for Prizes

Poll

Would you consider paying $3 if the prize is $15 minimum? (That's like 5 times as much!)

[ 4 ]
    Tournaments for Prizes Bar_left44%Tournaments for Prizes Bar_right [44%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Tournaments for Prizes Bar_left22%Tournaments for Prizes Bar_right [22%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Tournaments for Prizes Bar_left33%Tournaments for Prizes Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Tournaments for Prizes Bar_left0%Tournaments for Prizes Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 9
    Boblobster
    Boblobster
    In-Game Admin

Tournaments for Prizes Empty Tournaments for Prizes

Post by Boblobster Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:40 pm

This is expanding on my idea in the original tourny thread, and Pat said he'd allow it if more people say yes (HINT HINT).

Basically, every now and then we could set up a tournament, either ingame or on tf2 or something, that you pay like $3 for to enter (and get the perks with it, up to $15 or something) for a chance to win a Steam game, either of the newer games out or a game of your choosing. Depending on how many people we get the prize could have a wider range of prices, like if 10 people entered the prize could be $20, then we'd keep the rest as per normal donations go.

This way, people who want to donate to help but think it's pointless to or just don't think it's worth it at the lower levels have something worthwhile to invest in, because lets face it, tournaments are bloody fun. To make it fair aswell, staff would have to pay to enter (that includes you Pat, though not as if you'd win anyway ;P).

We could stage one of these every month or two with varying games so everyone gets something to suit their interests at some point or another. This would be on top of weekly free tournaments that you could win in game stuff in.

If you don't have Steam however, we can still work something out. Hell it doesn't even need to be a game, could just get Pat to order something from amazon to your house or whatever (if you'd trust him with the address, that and if he could be arsed >_>) if not... get Steam xD.

I also feel that something like this would greatly boost server happiness and would be some good advertisement, as well as help pay the monthly server bills so we don't have to rely on new people paying like $20 each every month.

The question is though, would you pay around $3 for a chance to win a game worth $15 or more? It's probably legal (well they get the money at the end of the day <_<).

Can't be arsed to proof read.
    thefluffyswan
    thefluffyswan

Tournaments for Prizes Empty Re: Tournaments for Prizes

Post by thefluffyswan Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:58 pm

I wouldn't, due to
    A: I am still figuring out how to get my own internet money
    B: My computer is total shit
    Boblobster
    Boblobster
    In-Game Admin

Post by Boblobster Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah but do you think it's a good idea? is what I'm getting at xD

I suppose we'd need to get the normal tournaments going first to see how people like them before trying something like this.
    SergentPineapple
    SergentPineapple
    Donator

Post by SergentPineapple Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:29 pm

As long as it actually does happen and people don't get ripped off. Also you'll have to pay extra attention/have extra protection depending on the game because people may cheat/hack and, well, it is real money we're dealing with if this happens.
    Burnalot

Post by Burnalot Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37 pm

SergentPineapple wrote:As long as it actually does happen and people don't get ripped off. Also you'll have to pay extra attention/have extra protection depending on the game because people may cheat/hack and, well, it is real money we're dealing with if this happens.

Staff can spot stuff going on if that happens, most of em know what to look for. I know since I was staff myself. If thats not enough, console will pick it up v/ cheatprotection plugin for any op user to see. That is, assuming it's working now days.
    Bottom line, it's about as "safe" as you can get it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content